Getter Done Gals

LOVE AMERICA

Saturday, February 24, 2024

DUKE ELLINGTON

 

DUKE ELLINGTON
By Roni Bell

Watching a terrific documentary on Duke Ellington, I couldn't help but reflect back to 1964 when I met the gentleman.

My then husband, a jazz keyboard player, was close friends of Omaha orchestra leader Lee Williams and his wife Laura Beth LeCox.

They invited us to a tiny private party they held for Mr. Ellington at their home.

My vivid memory is taking turns with Mr. Ellington listening to music through those newfangled fluffy headsets.

He'd sit in their big chair, put on the headset, listen, wink at me, then get up and say, "your turn."

I'd sit down, he'd help me adjust the headset and I'd listen.

We took turns playing with that headset for quite a while. After all, they were a novelty back then.

I didn't know Duke Ellington was famous.

All I knew was, "Gosh he's classy! Nice. Handsome and TALL!"

No comments: